Ниш Eкспрес

In some ways I actually like the Cyrillic Alphabet better than Latin – or at least the distorted way English uses the Latin Alphabet. After spending the afternoon with Lola and saying out goodbyes I boarded a bus to Niš, Serbia. The title of this blog post is Cyrillic for Niš Express, the bus line I used for the trip. It was an uneventful journey, except for the hour-long border stop. For some reason we all had to exit the bus for about half an hour at the Serbian border, and it was quite colder than when I departed Skopje. I arrived in Niš about 2100 and made my way to Aurora Hostel. The hostel is decent, but there is no real kitchen or place to meet fellow travelers. Just as well, there seems to be very little to do in this city. I walked the town a bit the night of my arrival, viewing the fortress north of the center of town.


This morning I walked to the train station and bought a ticket to Sofia for the following day. It’s been quite a while since I’ve been on a train, and it was a few Euros cheaper than a bus. I’m excited to get to Bulgaria; I have not had the chance to visit it as of yet. I will most likely spend three or four days in Sofia before heading west to the Black Sea. I’m really hoping that I can get a in a few final days of summer on the beaches there before it gets too cold – as cold as it’s been in Serbia the past two days. Seriously, it’s really quite chilly here. At least the rain has held up so I’m able to journey out for a bit.

After I left the train station I took the number 1 bus to Mediana, a small outpost a few kilometers from the city where Roman emperors once vacationed. Or something, I don’t know. The history is interesting, but there wasn’t too much to see. Luckily the 200 Denar ticket allowed me entrance to three other sites. Unluckily two of those – the two across town – closed within the hour. But I still had time to walk to the Skull Tower. The story behind it is compelling, but the tower itself has fallen apart and been restored several times, so again there wasn’t much to see. It doesn’t compare in the slightest to the Sedlec Ossuary in Czech. I decided to walk the rest of the way back to town, which only took about an hour. I stopped for lunch and mailed some postcards before returning to the hostel. My train leaves at noon tomorrow, so I’m hoping I’ll have time for the Niš Concentration Camp tomorrow before I leave. I want to get my money’s worth out of the $3 I spent on the ticket.

I guess that is just about all I can think of to write. Tomorrow at this time I will be in Sofia, but tonight I think I am just going to get a beer (the beers here are 2 liters), camp out in the hostel, and try to stay warm for the evening.


Brian Cosey






+17173723307 (whatsapp)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *